Monday 25 August 2014

A Healthier Breakfast..


'Beauty starts from within', 'You are what you eat', 'Eat yourself beautiful!'

I'm sure we have all heard at least one of these sayings more than once and I totally agree with them. Some of the most coveted looks and things that are described as beautiful by others can usually be achieved with a healthy diet. Such as brighter skin that is glowing, soft and shiny hair and also some kickass looking nails. However I'm not going to bore you and try to convince you to eat healthy because - of course - I am not some health goddess myself but I am going to share with you my tasty breakfast so maybe you can try and recreate it yourself!

A great thing about this breakfast is that there are so many alternative ways to make it, if you don't like something I added or you would like to add something else, go right ahead and do it! I came up with this myself through experimentation and each time I do something different just to keep things interesting, so go right ahead and put your own mark on it.

The finished product..  

(ignore messy background and focus on delicious food)

Without further ado lets get started..

What I included in my bowl: 
- A handful of rolled Oats (add more if needed)
- A handful of flaked Almonds 
- Roughly a desert spoon of chia seeds
- Heaped tsp of flaxseed with goji berries
- Heaped tsp of flaxseed with sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Tsp of Cocoa nibs   
- One square of 85% chocolate
-  2 tsps of sunflower seeds
- Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries 
- Enough almond milk to combine everything together (so vague I'm sorry)



This whole recipe is all depended on your taste because I made mine according to me. For example, I don't like cocoa nibs but I know how healthy they are so I added only a small amount of them, also I added a lot of chia seeds because of the health benefits and I actually like them and finally, almonds because I love them and they bulk up the granola (is this even granola I am unsure) 

I don't have pictures but I added a handful each of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. 

Health benefits of this breakfast:
- Almonds include good fat to lower cholesterol 
- Oats provide slow releasing energy
- Chia seeds (major superfood) are high in fiber, protein, omega 3 and can also help with weight loss
- Sunflower seeds are a great source of vitamin e (hello glowing skin!)
- Cocoa nibs are a great energy booster and actually can make you happier! (I swear, just google it) 
- Flaxseeds are another great source of fiber and contain omega 3 

There are so so many more health benefits but I'm just too lazy to list them all and I highly suggest looking into them if you are interested!

Back to the recipe.. 
After putting all the dry ingredients in a bowl I like to add a little almond milk to combine everything together. This morning I didn't have almond milk, so I had to make do with semi-skimmed and it didn't make a difference as you only add a small amount just so it combines together.

Next add your fruit and presto! Thats how easy it is. Just pop it in the oven for about 15 minutes and what I like to do is take it out after the 15 minutes and give it a good stir around and pop it back in the oven for roughly 5-10 minutes.


SO yummy. 
If you want you can add yoghurt or drizzle honey over it, it's all up to you:)

Comment below what you think and if you would ever try this in the future..

See you soon! Ness x 

No comments:

Post a Comment